Home > Computing, Hardware > LCD ghost remedy

LCD ghost remedy

November 16th, 2005 ^Lestat Leave a comment Go to comments

I recently ran into an issue I had with an acer AL1714. At first I thought it was what they call ‘dead pixels’.

I was seeing a burned in image of my email client. It looks similar to the problem that used to occur in CRT’s. I found that to be odd, as I understood LCD’s don’t have this problem.

I first contacted Acer about the problem. This monitor has a 3 year waranty, and I only had it for 3 months. The good news is that they could repair it in 7-10 days. Cool. The bad news is that they wouldn’t send out aImage Persist Cleaner replacement in the mean time. Not even with a credit card to secure it. I asked them how they proposed I continued to do any work. I’m paraphrasing their response as, “that’s for you to figure out”. Nice warranty….. so much for support.

At this point I decided to investigate further. After much googling, I discovered that my problem was not uncommon. Hmmm. It’s called Image Persistence.

It turns out that pixels in an LCD have a memory. If an image is on the pixels for an extended amount of time, the pixels will remember the image. The amount of time is unknown to me. I’m suspecting that it hase something to do with response time? As you can see in the upper portion of the screen, you can make out the ‘box’ of my outlook email client.

Image Persistence

The good news is that it’s not permanent. Here are a few steps you can take to remove it (suggested by an article at dslwebserver.com);

1. Create a 1200 x 1600 100% white .gif to use as a screen saver. (In windows you can add it to “My Pictures Slideshow”). You can just download this one if you like. (Right click->save as)
  2. Set that to run after 2 minutes of non-use.
  3. Set the monitor to power off in a short amount of non-use. Say 15 minutes.

In a few days your monitor shouldn’t remember those open application borders anymore. Then you can return the settings to a more tolerable time setting, and set your old favorite screensaver etc.

Rinse, and repeat as needed.

Update 1/05/2006:You can do the same with apple LCD’s as described here.

Have you had something similar happen to you? If you have any other suggested comments or educational tips on image persistence, please leave a comment.

, , burn-in, Image Persistence

Categories: Computing, Hardware Tags:
  1. November 25th, 2005 at 07:43 | #1

I had the same problem with a 19″ monitor I bought at Staples with an extended warranty. I didn’t get that monitor back for 6 weeks and they wouldn’t give me a replacement.

I ended up buying a new monitor.

2. July 31st, 2006 at 08:51 | #2

Might be a signal input that should be but isn’t turned completely off. If it is ‘lcd persistence’, should be able to ‘clean it’ with a bright screen for a few minutes.

3. Bob
    August 1st, 2006 at 18:06 | #3

I have an Acer 19″ LCD too and just noticed this problem the other day. It’s no where near as bad as the picture you posted, but on an all grey screen I can make out the firefox toolbar separators. They show up as whitish horizontal lines.

I’m trying the white screen fix now. Hopefully it’ll work!

Anyway, I know this is an old post (found on google) but just though i’d chime in.

Have you noticed if this problem got any worse on your monitor, or can you fix it every time?

4. August 2nd, 2006 at 14:37 | #4

Actually the white screen does do it’s job. I’ve seen it take a few weeks on one, but it was heavily ‘Image Persisted’ hehe.

Yes it’s an old post, but seems to be quite informative. I haven’t written in a while. Work has been keeping me quite busy.

Thanks for stopping by!

5. March 3rd, 2008 at 21:07 | #5

i am a big fan of samsung

6. sersoft
    April 6th, 2008 at 12:24 | #6

My 27″ ViewSonic hdtv has ALOT of image persistence, even when I play games like counter strike, there’s a ghost of the radar on the screen after I close the game.

I use it only as a monitor for my PC, most people say it’s because HDTV LCD’s are cheaper and designed for television, where the picture changes constantly, but my desktop always has something not moving on it, like the taskbar, icons, even the mouse pointer.

7. amin
    August 4th, 2008 at 07:35 | #7

i has the same problem with my viewsonic VA712 it started at the top of the screen i small area about on 1cm from top of screen then in 5 month the area increased to 6cm and any text or icon in the screen has a shadow

8. December 5th, 2008 at 14:04 | #8

Some things about the viewsonic VA712 this monitor has a brightness level of 380 cd/m” which is higher than most of the LCD screens you get here. However the same cannot be said about the contrast ratio. It stands at 350:1 (typical) and 450:1 (max), which is slightly lower than most of the good LCDs today

9. sumit
    December 23rd, 2008 at 14:27 | #9

hey i brought a new samsung 943NWX LCD.
    What i have noticed is that there are some places where the text is overlapping… ie the text has a ghost effect… and mostly this text is in the upper area and one line in side bar..otherwise there is no as such effect when i read pdf’s or watch movies… plz suggest what to do…

10. Anwar
    January 30th, 2009 at 19:38 | #10

Opera browser caused this to my monitor, I thought it was permanent but I found that it’s because of opera using white lines in their GUI, the best thing to resolve this it to stop using this browser, or switching of you monitor from time to time.

11. February 6th, 2009 at 10:27 | #11

i BOUGHT A USED DTF-510 on ebay. The ghosting has been pretty bad, and the burn in is worse. I am testing the 100% white desktop image as a gif. So far, about fifteen minutes, it is looking better. I am thinking of using an alternating gif, 100% black and 100% white, flicker affect to see if that helps. So far, the white is doing a good job, but I want to test my theory to see what it does as I am still experiencing a good bit of burn in. I doubt I can fix it as the unit was probably subjected to some variants that it shouldnt experience.

Thanks for you initial research and testing, it has helped. I will reply with my results sometime later.

12. March 2nd, 2009 at 16:08 | #12

My LCD ghosts disappeared after pulling my VGA cable out from underneath my Compaq Desktop. EMI from the nearby fan motor probably caused it.

13. john sullivan
    April 7th, 2009 at 20:11 | #13

Have Mitsubishi 40 in LCD HDTV..watch lots of 4×3 images because I do not like to stretch the image.
    Now the image is brighter on the sides(16×9image) for a time until the set is on for about 20 minutes then it will even out to the same brightness (although less bright)across the entire display.
    I am not sure this falls into image persistence but wondered if there is truly a fix. I have had the set for 15 months…this started about 2 months ago.
    I have turned the backlight to zero and adjust the rest of the set from there.

14. April 19th, 2009 at 04:10 | #14

Searched everywhere for a decent Mitsubishi Pajero 4×4 with some nice extras and toys. saw quite a few that were so-say ‘good condition’ but all were pretty poor. The odd one I did find on a forecourt were expensive and not worth the extra money.
    I decided to import my own from Japan but found it is not the easiest thing in the world. Not impossible of course but time consuming and a risk all the same. Meant doing lots of searching and then paying the money in Yen to an unknown in Japan. Didn’t liek that idea too much.
    I then found Algys Autos Ltd. They have garages in Japan and the UK (Bristol) so were well placed. They even offered to deliver the car direct to my door! They sourced, inspected and imported the car for me at COST price plus £350…..MAD no idea how they can still survive at those prices but I must say they were very proffessional and I see they have been well established and respected for over 14 years so I guess the formula works! Certainly worked for me.
    Bottom line is give them a site visit, well worth the time and I am very happy chappy!!

15. smitty
    April 29th, 2009 at 14:05 | #15

I had same problem. Reroute as suggested by John Potter in previous post, and/or tighten cable connections. All is OK now.

16. November 18th, 2009 at 03:31 | #16

17. January 17th, 2010 at 01:11 | #17

Students must treat essays writers very tolerantly, because they write the fantastic medicine essays reffering to this post. Thus, it’s not a great problem to order custom essay because of it at this time.

18. January 23rd, 2010 at 02:29 | #18

I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts.dissertation writing.I have read most of them and got a lot from them.ip address checker. To me, you are doing the great work. Carry on this. work at home In the end, I would like to thank you for making such a nice website.

19. April 8th, 2010 at 06:28 | #19

Might happened due EMI near to it. Also might be a power cord or bad signals from the operator…!!!

20. sam
    June 11th, 2010 at 04:37 | #20

Thanks a ton, this worked for me in less than 24 hours.

21. June 23rd, 2010 at 23:10 | #21

Hey I too had the same problem……
    But I didnt hav the warrenty

22. Cees
    September 25th, 2010 at 08:03 | #22

I use Firefox with Full Fullscreen, set to about:blank. This was i don’t see the 4:3 shadow on the right side, so it should work in realigning the errant transistors.

23. Cees
    September 25th, 2010 at 08:05 | #23

This way*

BTW, As a coding project, you might want to develop a CAPTCHA for this site.

24. November 10th, 2010 at 09:45 | #24

@Cees
    I agree about the CAPTCHA. I’ve left this quite neglected.

25. December 15th, 2010 at 13:38 | #25

I’d appreciate any advice on my LG,Flatron L1718S, (LCD monitor) which, once turned on, shows a 1.5 inch bright horizontal line that later on changes to multiple thin color lines into the previous bright line. Wthat’s wrong with it. What may be the faulty part? Thanks a lot.
    Roland

26. January 23rd, 2011 at 19:13 | #26

It has been some time since the original post. Does this problem is also present in the modern LCDs?

27. pyro guy
    June 6th, 2011 at 20:53 | #27

This doesn’t work. I got an lcd monitor that appears to have been used as a fast food ordering board. I let the screen sit on a white screen in 12 hour intervals with 4 hour rests. I did this for a week and absolutely no results. I then just let the screen sit on a white screen for over 30 hours straight. Still nothing. ={

28. November 1st, 2012 at 01:55 | #28

Ministre des fiosnees, par lettre du 29 octobre 1832, a rapporte une décision du 30 août 1830 qui exigeait le domicile annal.

29. November 13th, 2012 at 02:00 | #29

I learn more from this post. It’s very worth to read.

30. November 27th, 2012 at 02:11 | #30

la fièvre, et alors il signifie, L’émotion de la fièvre, et lout le temps que la fièvre duro sans inlermisyion. Avoir un accès de fièvre, un accès violent.

31. January 22nd, 2013 at 01:28 | #31

Elegant yet generous style design makes a phase of it. Street casual style of the bag is constantly the mainstream single product, exquisite and fashionable hardware accessories, just the right bags satisfactory separation, tidal flavor, distributed Casual chic common taste!

32. February 11th, 2013 at 02:56 | #32

But for modern Computer LCD’s this “Ghost” problem is rare to show.

33. February 11th, 2013 at 09:13 | #33

Modern LCD’s not only for computers but also for Televisions are becoming more advance than we could ever think. There you can see 3D televisions, flat HD screen monitors.

34. February 11th, 2013 at 11:10 | #34

They say magnets can help solve this LCD Ghost problem.

35. April 7th, 2013 at 11:38 | #35

Very useful info. Hope to see more posts soon!

36. prcfrog
    March 25th, 2014 at 04:20 | #36

This blog impressed me and over exceeded my expectations. You know how to involve a reader and increase his curiosity to read more. kingsing k2 dual core is a recommend phone selling well in my site,please come by and have a look.

1. November 23rd, 2005 at 03:40 | #1